The Festivals in Puglia are among the many festivals and food and wine experiences offered by the Puglia Region to which it is possible to participate throughout the year. In Puglia various kinds of parties are organized in order to promote a territory, a product or an idea and to share it with the public.
Festivals in Puglia are very popular throughout the year. Thanks to numerous fine food and wine productions and various excellences, the culinary art is varied and deeply felt throughout the territory.
Festivals in Puglia
One more reason to visit Puglia is due to the large number of local festivals, including music festivals, which are held throughout the year, and which will certainly help to recharge the batteries from days full of activities or tantalize the palate with unique flavors.
The festivals in Puglia that are held throughout the year differ from each other for the type of event they accompany:
- festivals in Puglia for religious events
- festivals in Puglia for a gastronomic event
- festivals in Puglia for traditional events
- festivals in Puglia for concerts
- festivals in apulia for fairs
- festivals in Puglia for competitions
- festivals in Puglia for competitions
- festivals in Puglia for seasonal celebrations
Musical Festivals in Puglia often accompany festivals and similar events to entertain visitors during all the evenings of the festivals.
Taking a trip to Puglia is the perfect way to recharge with a great variety of natural, cultural and historical sites to explore.
The numerous white sandy beaches and rocky coasts make Puglia a true paradise for sun and sea lovers.
Spring and summer are the perfect time to participate in the evening at festivals by the sea or on walks in historic centers in the hills.
Rain is quite rare in Puglia and for this reason it is ideal to travel to Puglia even in winter.
You can visit the fascinating historic centers of the Apulian villages or explore the breathtaking landscapes on the sea or in the hinterland.
Puglia is a pleasant travel destination all year round thanks to its mild Mediterranean climate.
During the day or in the evening you can participate in events and festivals even in cooler weather.
Festivals in Puglia: the most popular festivals
Among the long series of local festivals in Puglia, the Festivals are those held throughout the year for gastronomic events or seasonal celebrations.
Festivals are among the most popular festivals because in addition to being held independently they are also held throughout the year as an accompaniment to other events and other types of parties.
The most common types of festivals organized in Puglia, including the numerous festivals, are:
- music festivals
- patronal feasts
These festivals are a fantastic opportunity for everyone to immerse themselves in the local culture and learn about Apulian traditions.
While taking advantage of the festivals and events in Puglia, it is possible to stay in Puglia by renting various types of facilities, from the apartment to the village, from the farms to the villas depending on seasonal availability.
During the off season, of course, you can find many more options to choose from at below average prices.
Music Festivals in Puglia
In Puglia some of the most important music festivals in Italy are organized which host, on the marvelous scenographies of the Apulian landscape, international artists of great fame together with emerging artists to entertain the large audience.
The Music Festivals in Puglia attract audiences from all over the world to host music concerts of different musical genres, including folk, electronic, pop, classical rock, opera and jazz.
Among the most important Music Festivals in Puglia, which we recommend to visit, there are:
- Medimex - International Festival & Music Conference
- Locus Festival
- Festival of the Itria Valley
- Hurray! Festival
- Cinzella Festival
- The Night of the Taranta
Festivals in Puglia in JANUARY 2023
Festivals in Puglia in January are an integral part of the Christmas festivities and many are linked to local events and traditions.
The January festivals in Puglia see great public participation thanks to the mitigation of temperatures but also thanks to the beginning of the Easter holidays and the agricultural traditions linked to the beginning of the sowing period.
Among the typical festivals and festivals held in September in Puglia there are:
- Focara di Novoli in Novoli (LE) in Puglia
- Pork Festival in Novoli (LE) in Puglia
- Terracotta whistle fair in Rutigliano (BA) in Puglia
- Feast of the Patron Saint in Grottaglie (TA) in Puglia
- Focara of San Ciro in Grottaglie (TA) in Puglia
- Patronal Feast of Maria Santissima della Vetrana in Castellana Grotte (BA) in Puglia
- The Fanove in Castellana-Grotte (BA) in Puglia
Focara of Novoli
The focara di Novoli is certainly one of the most popular events during the winter. The bonfire in honor of Sant'Antonio will be lit on the evening of Monday 16 January and will be accompanied by good music until Wednesday 18, when the "Sagra del Maiale" will also take place at the same time. On the 16th there will be a focara lighting show and pyrotechnic display. On the 17th a prestigious pyrotechnic review will be held between various participating artists and with a large public presence.
Pork Festival in Novoli
In Novoli, on January 18th, the Pork Festival will be held the day after the Focara show. Between popular and traditional celebrations, visitors will be able to enjoy visits to the historic center, food area, fire theater and live music.
Terracotta whistle fair in Rutigliano
On January 17, Saturday 21 and Sunday 22, a beautiful event will be held in Rutigliano. The traditional Animal Fair will also be held with the Terracotta Whistle Fair. Visitors will be able to admire and take advantage of various craft and food stands.
Feast of the Patron Saint in Grottaglie
The Feast of the Patron Saint is held in Grottaglie from 15 January to 5 February, a period of patronal celebration that begins and ends with the transfer of the image of the patron saint from the Paolotti Church to the Mother Church and vice versa. The festive period will pass with religious events, musicals, meetings, exhibitions, stalls and will end with the blessing of the focara which will be lit at the end of the festival on January 31st.
Focara of San Ciro in Grottaglie
The Focara di San Ciro is a gigantic bonfire that is organized and lit in honor of the Patron Saint of Grottaglie during the festival in his honour.
Patronal Feast of Maria Santissima della Vetrana in Castellana Grotte
The festival lasts for several days during the month of January and at the end of which the image of the Madonna is brought back to the Sanctuary of the Madonna della Vetrana. From 6 to 22 January there will be a series of events related to the patronal feast both in the historic center and in the surrounding area of the town. There will be music, food, liturgy, presentations, exhibitions and stalls to refresh the participants.
The Fanove in Castellana Grotte
The fanove is an ancient Castellanese popular festival that has been going on since the end of the 1600s, when the town was struck by the plague, and which is held at the Sanctuary of the Madonna di Vetrana in Castellana Grotte during the period of the patronal feast of the Madonna della Vetrana. The fanove are gigantic bonfires, colossal pyres of wood, which every year commemorate the miracle of the Madonna della Vetrana who freed the people of Castellanesi from this epidemic
Festivals in Puglia in FEBRUARY 2023
In February, in Puglia, there are many traditional festivals and celebrations that celebrate the local cuisine, culture and traditions of the region. Some popular festivals held in February are:
- Focaccia Festival in Bari
- Red Onion Festival in Acquaviva delle Fonti (BA)
- Cardoncello Mushroom Festival in Mottola (TA)
- Fair of Festivals in Monopoli (BA)
- Pork festival in Putignano (BA)
Focaccia Festival Bari
The Bari Focaccia Festival is held in Bari and celebrates the famous Bari focaccia, a traditional dish of Apulian cuisine.
Red Onion Festival in Acquaviva
The Red Onion Festival is held in the town of Acquaviva delle Fonti (BA) and celebrates the red onion, a typical product of Puglia.
Cardoncello Mushroom Festival in Mottola
The Cardoncello Mushroom Festival in Mottola, a town located in the province of Taranto, is held to celebrate one of the tastiest mushrooms in the region.
Fair of Festivals in Monopoli
In Monopoli, a city located along the coast of Puglia in the province of Bari, this fair is held where you can taste the typical dishes of Puglia cuisine, accompanied by wine and live music.
Pork festival in Putignano
The Putignano pork festival, a city famous for its ancient and long Putignano carnival, celebrates the local gastronomic delicacies of fresh or seasoned meats prepared according to traditional recipes.
These are just some of the many festivals and celebrations held in Puglia in February. We recommend checking out local events to find out about other interesting festivals in the area you'll be visiting.
Festivals in Puglia in MARCH 2023
The feast of San Giuseppe, which falls in the month of March, is a period that is deeply felt by the citizens of Puglia and is publicly celebrated with events of various kinds and in the family with typical sweets such as fried or baked zeppole.
Among the festivals, typical festivals and events held in March in Puglia there are:
- Pasta and Chickpea Festival: in Lecce and Lizzano in Puglia
- Zeppola Festival in Cutrofiano in Puglia
- Processions for the RITE OF FORGIVENESS in Puglia
Pasta and Chickpeas Festival in Puglia: Lecce and Lizzano
The queen of the typical specialties to taste during the Feast of San Giuseppe in Lecce, in addition to the countless specialties, is the "pasta and chickpeas".
During breaks from sacred events, processions and guided tours of the Feast of San Giuseppe, it is possible to stop and taste one of the many Apulian specialties in one of the many bars or on banquets.
Zeppola Festival in Cutrofiano in Puglia
The period of the Feast of San Giuseppe is so intense that you will find everywhere the typical dessert which is fried or baked Zeppola.
The Sagra della Zeppola is held in Cutrofiano, which for enthusiasts represents an unrepeatable moment to visit.
Processions for the RITE OF FORGIVENESS in Puglia
Among the rites of the Holy Week in Puglia you can attend the so-called "Perdoni" which are held in the various churches.
Attending different Forgivenesses would help to forgive your sins but you have to be careful to wait for an odd number of rites for this to happen.
The rites and fairs are surrounded by ancient folklore and traditions.
Among the typical feasts, events and festivals that are held during the Holy Week on the day of the rite of forgiveness in Puglia there are:
- Passio Christi in the ravine of Ginosa in Puglia
- Week of crosses in Noicattaro in Puglia
- Bell Fair in Maglie in Puglia
- Procession of the Fracchie in San Marco in Lamis in Puglia
- Procession of the Mysteries in Francavilla Fontana in Puglia
Festivals in Puglia in APRIL 2023
In April we continue with a long series of festivals and outdoor events in Puglia.
The festivals held at the end of Holy Week in Puglia are:
- Festival of the Cuddrura in Santa Cesarea Terme in Puglia
- Festival of Tarallucci and Wine in Alberobello in Puglia
- Calzone Festival in Corato in Puglia
- Lamb Festival in Faeto in Puglia
Particularly interesting to see during the Holy Week are the Music Competition in Barletta in Puglia, the Puppet Show in Latiano in Puglia, the Festa de Li tea in gravina in Cellino San Marco in Puglia, the Flag-waving competitions in Carovigno. in Puglia.
Among the festivals, typical festivals and events held at the end of April during the Feast of San Giorgio in Puglia there are:
- San Giorgio Fair in Corigliano d'Otranto in Puglia
- Festival of the Omelette in Vieste in Puglia
- Festa del Passa Pass in Turi in Puglia
- Procession of the Annunciation in Turi in Puglia
Very interesting to follow would also be the Ox Race in Chieuti in Puglia and the Palio on horseback on the beach in Vieste in Puglia.
Festivals in Puglia in MAY 2023
Among the parties in the BAT there will be the Music Competition in Barletta in Puglia and the much-felt Infiorata in Andria in Puglia.
The Feast of the SS. Crucifix in Galatone and the Festa Maria Santissima della Serritella in Volturino in Puglia.
The festivals and other most important festivals in May are:
- Feast of San Nicola in Bari in Puglia
- Feast of the Medici Saints in Brindisi in Puglia
- Feast of San Cataldo in Taranto in Puglia
- Open courtyards in Lecce in Puglia
Among the typical festivals in the month of May in Puglia there are still the Feast of Santa Maria di Merino in Vieste in Puglia, Spring Festival in Cellino San Marco in Puglia, Feast of the Madonna della Croce in Francavilla Fontana in Puglia.
And in order not to miss it again there is the Feast of the Madonna della Fonte in Conversano in Puglia, Feast of Padre Pio in San Giovanni Rotondo in Puglia, Feast of San Filippo Neri in Roseto Val Fortore in Puglia.
Exceptional festivals are held separately such as the Fish Festival in Castro in Puglia, the Panzerotto Festival in Monopoli in Puglia, the Fried Fish Festival in Castro in Puglia, the Sagra de lu Pesce in Porto Cesareo in Puglia and the Asparagus Festival in Candela in Puglia
Very characteristic and beautiful to wait for are also the events Open courtyards in Lecce in Puglia and the Leverano Cherry Fair in Puglia.
Festivals in Puglia in JUNE 2023
June is one of the months of the year with more events throughout the Apulian territory. The festivals held during the period of June have a large following.
If you plan a holiday in Puglia in June you will find that you will have many typical events to visit and discover, throughout the region.
The summer season is upon us and it is therefore still very pleasant to be able to spend the warm spring days outdoors.
Very often the events that take place in June have a ceremonial part that is held during the day and a playful and celebratory part that is held during the cool spring evenings.
Among the typical festivals and celebrations held in June in Puglia there are:
- Sagra della Ciliegia Ferrovia di Turi in Turi (BA) in Puglia
- Feast of San Vito Martire in Polignano Mare (BA) in Puglia
- Palio di Taranto in Taranto (TA) in Puglia
- Historical Parade of San Giovanni in Putignano (BA) in Puglia
- Feast of Saints Peter and Paul in Galatina (LE) in Puglia
- La scamiciata in Fasano di Brindisi (BR) in Puglia
Among the other events held in June in Puglia are:
- Sportivity" Sport Fair in Gravina di Puglia (BA) in Puglia
- Molfetta Night Run in Molfetta (BA) in Puglia
- Ruvo, carafa and the legend in Ruvo di Puglia (BA) in Puglia
- St. John's Night in Bitetto (BA) in Puglia
Festivals in Puglia in JULY 2023
There are many festivals in Puglia during the month of July, distributed among all the Apulian provinces.
The events in July in Puglia are so many that on some days the events overlap.
In July it is also possible to visit up to 3 events on the same day if you feel like taking a trip by car.
Tourists who visit events in Puglia, as well as the citizens themselves, however, prefer to dedicate the whole day to the closest event so that they can fully enjoy it and take advantage of the services, shows and gastronomic delicacies offered.
Among the typical festivals and celebrations held in July in Puglia there are:
- Patronal Feast of Santa Domenica in Scorrano (LE) in Puglia
- Feast of San Vito in San Vito dei Normanni (BR) in Puglia
- Festa Madonna del Carmine in Tuglie (LE) in Puglia
- Feast of the Madonna del Carminein Apricena (FG) in Puglia
- Patronal feast in honor of the patron saints Vito and Vincenzo in San Vito dei Normanni (BR) in Puglia
- Historical parade of S. Margherita in Latiano (BR) in Puglia
- Sagra te lu ranu in Merine (LE) in Puglia
- Sagra ta Turre in Ugento (LE) in Puglia
- Country festival Maria SS. Di Mellitto with floral floats parade in Grumo Apulla (BA) in Puglia
Among the other events held in July in Puglia are:
- Palio dei capatosta - the challenge between the districts in Mola di Bari (BA) in Puglia
- Tango Festival in Trani (BA) in Puglia
- Pizzica in festa in Sternatia (LE) in Puglia
- Assaprà Festival in Corato (BA) in Puglia
- Festival Music Mundi in Grottaglie (TA) in Puglia
- Summer Massafra Carnival in Massafra (TA) in Puglia
- Wine is Music in Grottaglie (TA) in Puglia
- Festa te la uliata in Caprarica di Lecce (LE) in Puglia
- Festival of Lecce pasticciotto and Mediterranean flavors in Surano (LE) in Puglia
- Summer Putignano Carnival in Putignano (BA) in Puglia
- Troia Teatro Festival in Troia (FG) in Puglia
Festivals in Puglia in AUGUST 2023
The festivals and events in Puglia in August are really many. August is the time of the year when more festivals, events, festivals, and manifestations of all kinds are held compared to the rest of the year.
Visiting Puglia in August means fully enjoying the history, the sun and the sea. At the same time, being on holiday in Puglia in August also means having to choose, almost every evening, which party to go to to spend a cultural, gastronomic or musical evening.
Participating in the events in Puglia in August means discovering ancient rites and traditions, much experienced by the citizens of the region still today, and being involved together with the local population in their celebrations.
Among the typical festivals and celebrations held in August in Puglia there are:
- Festival Rites and Flavors around the Menhir in Tricase (LE) in Puglia
- Festival of the sugar potato in Lecce (LE) in Puglia
- Festival of cicatelli in Celle di San Vito (FG) in Puglia
- Black pig festival in Deliceto (FG) in Puglia
- Sagra te cose noscie in Ugento (LE) in Puglia
- Festival of grandma's sandwich in Giovinazzo (BA) in Puglia
- Festival of caciocavallo, cicatiell and acc 'in Monteleone di Puglia (FG) in Puglia
- Pepper festival in Vernole (LE) in Puglia
- Watermelon Festival in Botrugno (LE) in Puglia
- Sagra de la sciuscella in Patu '(LE) in Puglia
- Feast of the Holy Family of Nazareth in Apricena (FG) in Puglia
- San Cataldo - Patronal Feast in Corato (BA) in Puglia
- Patronal feast of Maria Santissima in Capurso (BA) in Puglia
Among the other events held in August in Puglia are:
- International folklore festival "Terra delle Gravine" in Palagianello (TA) in Puglia
- Summer of Ugento in Ugento (LE) in Puglia
- Pizzica & Primitivo in Manduria (TA) in Puglia
- Notes of taste in Santa Cesarea Terme (LE) in Puglia
- Healthy pulse in Pulsano (TA) in Puglia
- Gi. re. art in Ginosa (TA) in Puglia
- Floema Art Meeting Puglia in Castellaneta Marina (TA) in Puglia
- Puglia Sounds & Flavors in Carovigno (BR) in Puglia
- The valley of folklore in Monopoli (BA) in Puglia
- Vespa national meeting of Salento in Alezio (LE) in Puglia
- Night of art in Manduria (TA) in Puglia
- Chiardiluna in Maglie (LE) in Puglia
- National fair of crafts and typical products in Margherita di Savoia (FG) in Puglia
- Historical parade of Federico II and Tournament of the districts in Oria (BR) in Puglia
- White Night of Castellaneta in Castellaneta (TA) in Puglia
- The Night of the Brigands in Alberobello (BA) in Puglia
- Delfino Award in San Vito dei Normanni (BR) in Puglia
- Beer among the Trulli in Alberobello (BA) in Puglia
- Tarantella serenade in Vieste (FG) in Puglia
- The night of the brigands in Alberobello (BA) in Puglia
- Books in the ancient village of Bisceglie (BA) in Puglia
- Festival of the Senses in Martina Franca (TA) in Puglia
- Embers & Hugs in Martina Franca (TA) in Puglia
- Vieste in Love in Vieste (FG) in Puglia
Festivals in Puglia in SEPTEMBER 2023
In general, the festivals in Puglia in the month of September are usually much less than in the two previous summer months but they are still very lively and with a large turnout of the public.
The festivals in Puglia in September are less attended by tourists and in general by visitors not from Puglia.
Most of the tourists and visitors to Puglia in September have already concluded their holiday and returned to their cities of origin.
In September, the festivals in Puglia have visitors who are for the most part from Puglia or from neighboring regions, naturally accompanied by the presence of visitors of all nationalities even if less numerous.
The number of festivals in Puglia in the month of September is enriched by the festivals that began at the end of August and continue until the first week of September.
Among the typical festivals and celebrations held in September in Puglia there are:
- Festival of the sugar potato in Lecce (LE) in Puglia
- Patronal feast of Maria Santissima del pozzo in Capurso (BA) in Puglia
- Gathering of historical processions in Gravina di Puglia (BA) in Puglia
- Historical parade "Regina Bona Sforza" in Palo del Colle (BA) in Puglia
- Historical parade of Frederick II in Torremaggiore (FG) in Puglia
- Festival of paw, bocconcino and good wine in Sammichele di Bari (BA) in Puglia
- Whistle and Craft Fair in Galatina (LE) in Puglia
Among the other events held in September in Puglia are:
- Embers & Hugs in Martina Franca (TA) in Puglia
- Vieste in Love in Vieste (FG) in Puglia
- Pig festival in Villa Baldassarri (LE) in Puglia
- La Tiella is Sagra in Putignano (BA) in Puglia
- Fiera del Levante in Bari (BA) in Puglia
- The fires of San Pio fireworks festival in Stornella (in PugliaFG)
- Apulia Married in Martina Franca (TA) in Puglia
If you want to know more on where to stay in Puglia Italy you can check the related post.